On my way back from a work meeting this morning I let my mind swirl for a second on my present situation. Which I will say is a bit rough. I have had three really large unexpected bills roll through my home in the last 2 months which caused me to get behind on everything else and just snow ball. Now it seems no matter what I do I can’t seem to catch up and get free from the shit that I am currently wallowing in. It is a horrible place to be and an awful feeling to constantly stress about money. It is exhausting. On my drive today it was like a light went off in my head. I don’t have to live this way I just have to change what I am doing. I am the issue. I spend needlessly, I don’t budget and I am careless with my money. I am the reason I work two jobs and am constantly late on my bills. No more. I have decided that will no longer be my life or my situation. In order to do this, I have to make a plan. I need to save money and create a budget.
- Cut out the morning coffees! Almost every morning I go to this cute little coffee cart on my way to work in the morning. I visit Lisa from Kel’s Kickstart and get a tepid vanilla latte with 2 extra shots for 5.00 and I tip her 2.00. I do this six days a week. I just love her and love my coffee to get my day going on a happy note. Funny thing though, I have a great little Keurig machine and a regular coffee pot. Time to start making my own coffee in the morning.
- Pack lunches (or dinners if you work swing shift). I hate getting up in the morning. So very much. I sleep until the very last possible moment. This means that I regularly leave work with only five minutes to spare and no food to be had. Some days I can push through without eating anything all day but lately not so much. This means that I am buying lunch. Even if I go to Safeway or gas station deli (although normally I go to fast food) I am still looking at 10$ Given I don’t see me getting up any earlier this will mean packing my lunch the night before. As well as some meal replacement or snack bar options for the days I forget (I know there will be some)
- Buy Groceries and Eat at Home. This one I feel will actually be the hardest for me to do. I do not have a ton of time and with 4 kids in sports, I am constantly running from place to place. Due to this, I often fall victim to the quick and easy fast food or even just grabbing some ready to eat or microwave stuff from the store. With 4 kids a trip to Dairy Queen is easily 40$. In addition to that since I work two jobs weekends are normally “eat out” days. Our family of 6 eating out at a restraunt on Sunday morning is roughly 90$. As much as I like taking my family out, cutting it down to once a month will save me 300!!!
- Cut down the drinking,smoking, junks… I love wine. More specfically wine and sprite mixed together. I find it a wonderfully relaxing way to unwind at night. At the same time, it is an expensive habit that serves no real function. I buy a bottle of wine every 2 days and a 2 liter of Sprite to go with it. That is 12$ every two days on drinking. For what? It serves no purpose. Same is true if you are a smoker (5$ a day) Cutting out extra junk such as my wine will save me 40$ a week! A week!
- Shop thrify.
I have a very love hate relationship with shopping. I love to get new things but I hate going to stores. I get super self-conscious and just leave irritated and with no clothes. I buy everything online and have joined a few monthly subscription shipping sites. While I enjoy the lack of store I spend a ton and have to send back a bunch of stuff. Forty dollars for one dress though, unnecessary. I need to either find cheaper sites or actually go shopping. Thrift store shopping? Could be fun.
- Cut out the extras! All of these are unnecessary expenses that take away from the money I have to pay my bills.
- So let’s break that down-
- 7×6= 42
- 9×3= 27
- 55×2= 110
- 12×3= 36
- So let’s break that down-
That right there is 215.00 a week on shit that serves me no purpose!! That is 860$ a month!!! Then my 40$ shopping bill per month makes 900$$ savings. That is 2 car payments and insurance!!!