The older I get, the more real with myself I am becoming. This includes a pretty fair and accurate assumption of myself both inside and out. I am becoming more and more aware of my strengths as well as my shortcomings. Over the last year, I have worked pretty hard to make sure I praise all the things that I like and other’s like about me as well. Not just what needs work. Here is what I have learned about me. I am pretty average looking. Not bad but a decent 5 pushing maybe a 6 in the right outfit. What else I have learned is that I am one of those girls that people would say, “she cleans up well.” In other words with the right hair and makeup, I can push a 7 maybe a 7.5. I’m not one of those naturally rare beauties like a few girlfriends I have. I am a messy bun get shit done kinda gal. Since I work in marketing and sales though I have learned a few tricks to get myself presentable quick though that I’m ready to impart on the rest of you.
Don’t give a shit what anyone else thinks about how you look.
- This one here is key and seems counter intuitive to what I just said to you but let me explain myself. Confidence is hot. It is certainly enough to move you up at least half a point on the hot scale. (If not more, I’d be willing to give it a scale point) When you stop worrying about what others think of you and get comfortable in your own skin, you will radiate that light. You will stop being so worried about what you are wearing, how you look, if your hair is right…all those other things we ladies worry that people are judging us on. Hold that head up high and own your space girl. You are amazing!
Five-minute make-up will pull it together pretty quickly.
- I am a busy mom. If you are a mom, you are busy. That is just how it is. It is a chore every morning to get everyone ready to go and myself ready to go as well. You would be amazed though at how much more prepared you can look with some eyeliner and lipgloss. I keep 3 items in the door of my car. Lipstick, eyeliner, and mascara. On mornings where my hustle just wasn’t there, I take 3 minutes before a walk into work to pull it together a bit. This is just enough for me to feel like I put a thought into how I look to the rest of the world.
Heels dress up anything.
- Today was one of those days. I didn’t get out of bed until 7:21 we have to leave the house by 7:37 (I am a minute counter yes lol). I pulled my hair up in a bun and for the love of all things, I couldn’t find socks. I tore apart my room trying to find even a mismatched pair to no avail. So I grabbed my black heels tossed ’em on and rolled out. It was a makeup in the car day too on top of it. Despite this, I have been asked by 4 people today if I have a meeting today. I have also been told twice how nice I look. (I’m in jeans and a t-shirt folks…). Heels have power. Feeling down, got a big meeting or important task, through on some heels girl.
Add some crazy accessories to live up a ho-hum getup.
- Okay, as you may have noticed already, I am not a fancy lady. I am a poster child for low maintenance, mom life fashion. I own more yoga pants than jeans and will rock a hoodie as often as possible. If I’m trying to dress it up a bit I will put on a shiny necklace or bracelet. Some days I even wear earrings! It is a little thing but it will make you feel better and adds a little flair to an otherwise plain jeans and a t-shirt kinda day.
Dress Up for you and no one else.
- We are back to bullet one but it’s important. IF dressing to the nines makes you feel good, by all means, get it girl. Embrace the things that make you feel your best, that make you feel gorgeous! “Tina said I look bad in peach, I don’t wear shorter skirts because people might think I look trashy…” Tell those tiny judgy voices to shut the hell up. You will always look better when you feel beautiful. Don’t let anyone else dictate to you what you should wear and how you should look. (Okay, you got the obvious work dress code you might have to adhere too, but you know what I meant). If you are a jeans and hoody girl, do that. Own the things that make you that amazing person who you are and make you feel comfortable in your skin. *Note- I may suggest though if you are rocking jeans and a hoodie all day because you are self conscious of how you look and are hiding, try branching out a bit and getting a little bolder. You are stunning my friend, show it!